- This event has passed.
September 1, 2019 - September 30, 2019
For the month of September, Mum Runner’s Operation K9K is seeking canine field agents, (from here on in to be known as our code name “K9”) and special human agents (to be known as “9K”).
These special agents will need to undergo a month of ‘training’ to be declared Mum Runner assistance dogs and assistance runners.
How are you assisting? By providing a donation through our challenge to the Royal Society for the Blind that trains assistance dogs for veterans of the Australian Defence Force that are experiencing PTSD.
THE CHALLENGE DETAILS
For the K9 special agents:
Its simple! An assistance dog costs approximately 30k to breed, train and raise. So that is what you need to do… 30k. This could be at a walking or running pace with your human special agent “9K” and you have the entire month of September to do it.
For the 9K special agents (aka the two legged ones):
Select your breed:
You should attempt the training stages listed below:
(usually 8 weeks) but for us its 8 days – Sun the 1st to Sun 8th September
1. Birth – Record your first run!
2. Vaccinations – The first puppy vaccine protects against three core illness/diseases. Run 3km and avoid the park!
3. Puppy Food – Puppies should be fed 3 times a day. For this component 3 meals over 8 days is 24 meals so you must run 24kms during these 8 days
4. Micro chipping – Register your microchip details by recording a run in your local suburb
Puppy Educator Stage
(14 months) but for us its 14 days 9th – 23rd
This is where our intensive formal training happens. To be completed each week for two weeks:
– Put on your Training coat and run an easy 5km. This means the pace should feel ‘easy’ to you.
– Harness and Leash training. For this we are going to incorporate an intervals run into our training.
– Breed Vet check up: For this run we are going to run according to our breed. For small breeds up to 10km, for medium breeds up to 15km, and for large breeds over 15km
– Bedding, bowls and toys.. these are individual personal items and therefore so is this run.
24th – 30th September
Food, vet care and equipment for the life of an assistance dog costs approximately 21k.
For this week we are asking you to complete 21km, either in a single run, eg attempt a half marathon 21.1km, or run it over the entire week.